Friday 21 March 2008

Hidden Care

I have been living with my uncle and family in Chennai for the past several months . My grandmom ,whom I called 'Achamma' was also there along with us. I am very attached to Achamma as she was one person who has looked after me from childhood. She was my best friend and I have always reached out to her for all emotional support. She has pampered me and as you can imagine whenever I was with her..she looked into my stuff right from when I woke up, whether I had my breakfast to when I went to bed. 'Thayamma" is someone who comes to clean my uncle's  house and help out with other chores. She has been working here for around 18-20 yrs now. She is very close to my cousins Achu and Abi and she took care of all their stuff. She never showered too much attention on me  and that could be because she is not very familiar with my needs or so..Or may be she thought Achamma is already looking into when I ate etc. It went by with the usual hi and byes. My Achamma passed away 11 days back. She had a cardiac arrest and it was a shock for all of us. I still cant believe she isnt there with me..still can feel her presence around. I have been so used to her being there that..somehow I  know no one can fill the void she left behind. Its still has not sunk into me that she is no more. I continue to stay with my uncle as I work in Chennai. But since the past few days I am seeing a difference in Thayamma. She enquires if I had food...whether I need milk....I mean questions she has never asked before to me. I see there is a difference in the way she thinks about me now.Some kind of care thats hidden. Is it because she has accepted me as a member of the family just like Achu and Abi or is it because she knows the person who cared for me the most, is no more and she is trying to help me out by reducing the emptiness in my heart? Whatever the reason, its feels good:)

2 comments:

  1. so touching anuchechi..
    do tell me more about tayammma more in one of our conversations....

    ReplyDelete
  2. anu i didnt know u write such emotional stories(ofcourse a real story)

    ReplyDelete

Another try at art - Peacock feather

Since my maternity leave started, I have been wanting to do some art work. Also the upstairs bedroom really needed some kind of color in it....