Thursday 17 January 2008

My Mom

A few years back, say around 5 years back, when I think of 'mom', the face that came to my mind was of a lady, with a calm face, a nice smile, long hair, and beautiful eyes. Well my mom was beautiful. She was a respected doctor and she had a lot of compassion for people around her.Her thoughts were that of a mature person, and I must say this, that she lived only for me and my dad.She has brought me up, giving me all the happiness and shielding me away from all harm.My grandparents were proud about their daughter and well I was even more proud about her.

Unfortunately when I was in my Xth, she was detected with cancer. We were shocked. We couldn't believe that this could happen to her.My mom was shattered. She was very sad about leaving me.She never told that to me, but I could sense it.I knew I would be missing her and she would be missing me too....We were positive that we could treat this for a while, but after a few months, we realized that it has spread so much that now it is impossible to be free of it.

She passed away on May 26th 1999, a date which both me and my dad think of, but never speak about.After her demise, dad and me continued to live our lives, but there was something missing for sure.We are not the sympathy seekers, so we always try to put up a calm face so that we could avoid the sympathy on people's eyes. It's not because we don't require support, but talking and thinking about her, reminded us of her loss even more.

Three years passed, and finally we decided that its time that my dad married again.I was very open to the idea of bringing someone into our life.It is true that the thought of sharing my dad with someone new, and also the thought of accepting someone in my mothers place was very difficult for me,but somehow I just knew that this was the right decision.

As days passed, we got to know about somebody from our own native, who is ready for a remarriage. I went and met her with my dad, and she was tall, dusky and was extremely well dressed.You could call her a lady of current trends.I was neutral about this but never gave too deep a thought.
Only once she started sharing our lives, did I  realize how different she is from my mom.
But thankfully,I never compared them.Both of us became friends and then later best friends.
I had always referred her as my best friend to anyone who asked me about her.I liked a lot of things about her and there were  a lot of things which I didn't agree with her. But trust me she is the best thing that happened to me and my dad.She turned out to be all in all at home and I was so proud of the way she gelled well with my entire family.

I have heard many stories about things not going well between step mom and daughter, but  was so surprised and happy to realize what a gift she was to us. Yes, she has her tempers and her strong ideas about certain things, but the bonding that we developed as friends was far more stronger than ever. Its been 6 years now, and everyday I am reminded that she is my blessing. And the decision to support my dad to remarry and bring her to our family is one act I am really proud about myself. I completely love her and adore her, just like I adored my mother and I also know she loves me a whole lot just like her daughter. You just have to be open to people, and you can experience how much love they can shower on you.

Now when, I think of the word 'mom', I must say, there are two faces that comes to my mind:)

Thank you God!

6 comments:

  1. really appreciate your effort to start this blog.

    Keep writing Bommu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to be open to people, and you can experience how much love they can shower on you.
    NICE STATEMENT...I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi anu..
    well, after reading this, my eyes were filled with tears..
    i still remember n miss aunty a lot..
    love u dear..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed after reading this...u r really a matured girl...and the fact that this relationship works, has a credit to you too. If I were at your place, not sure if I could have handled things in such great ways. I truely appreciate....."Wish u all the BEST in life... "

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keetu... take care...
    keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. mili,chidha,kaushik,sibi,and rakhee..thanks a lot for all the support

    ReplyDelete

Another try at art - Peacock feather

Since my maternity leave started, I have been wanting to do some art work. Also the upstairs bedroom really needed some kind of color in it....