Monday 5 May 2008

Unusual.....

Well...I must record this day. The moment this incident happened I decided to write about this.
Its what we wish most people would do. Today I had to go to Ranganathan Salai for something. From Adyar I asked an autoricksha driver and he quoted...
Auto driver: "100"
Me:"100 is too much, 70"
AD:"No sister...90, and its a deal"
Me:"Nothing more than 80"
AD:"ok 85"
I hesitated and was about to look for another one when he said..."OK 80.."
And i got in and he dropped me at my destination.
After some time, i was looking for an auto to get back.
The moment an auto stopped, i told him my destination and told him "Nothing more than 70"
He looked at me and said,"I will put the meter".
Did i hear him right?Meter?? Auto drivers do put meter? Whenever i get into an auto...i used to tell him meter charge and the guy used to tell me..."Sister,Meter does not work". And this is the same dialogue all auto drivers give me.Once i even asked one of them.."why do u have it then" for which he replied, "It was working right till yest" and smiled.

After few months and years of being in Chennai..i realised that nobody puts meter. So i made it a point that i wont get into an auto without an argument.I mean sometimes i hate to the thought of calling an Auto just because i have to bargain to reduce rates. I stopped even looking at the meters in autos as they dont even show digits now.

Today..after so many years.i heard this person tell he will put meter..i was kinda skeptical. I was sure he is saying so confidently just because he has done some adjustment with the meter that it would show extra amount. I told him..."See...noting more than 70". For which he replied.."Nothing more than meter charge".

He took me till my home in besant nagar..and i saw 45.20 in meter. Still i asked him how much as i thought he would defn charge me some extra money telling there is no returm. But he said..45.20!!!. I was so astonished....i took a 50 note and gave him...and he was like....
" I dont have change...".
I said,"Keep the 50".
"No..i dont want any extra money"!!!
I was shocked!!! People think this way even now...????I mean...really? i came down till besant nagar from ranganathan salai for 45 rs???
I fished my purse and found 10 rupee notes and exactly gave him 45.50:).

I mean...i thought he was abnormal. How ironical..for the first time a guy did something correct..and i think he is abnormal????

We are so used to paying extra and being cheated that...i couldnt take his honesty at once!!!
Well i forgot to ask his number....:(. or else i could have saved loads and loads of money which we usually pay extra on autos...I was kinda taken aback by the fact that i actually pay double the price to reach the destination always...

I mean we watch movies like Annyan, Swadesh etc and all the sincere stuff just remain in movies.....Atleast i am happy..not all human beings have turned out to be ignorant about rules in India. I hope this one guy become and inspiration for many others to just accept what they truly deserve....

6 comments:

  1. Anu, Your narration is very cool!! :) I am now reading your previous entries too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you vino and vanaja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Unbelievable!!!

    Though meters are mandatory in Chennai none of the autowalas use them. Here in bangalore they use it but always charge more than meter or else tamper with meters.

    Initially, i was happy to see all auto putting on the meter, then the flip side dawned.

    anyway, he sure must have been new to the trade. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice One!

    Very rarely we ll meet such guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, the autorickshaw story is what all of us have gone through during our early 20s.

    I am surprised that you didn't take him to a restaurant and treat him to a meal. That's how rare such people are! :D

    My horrible auto experiences actually forced me to learn driving and buy my own car. Sometimes, I am just grateful for the bad experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Another try at art - Peacock feather

Since my maternity leave started, I have been wanting to do some art work. Also the upstairs bedroom really needed some kind of color in it....