Saturday 10 October 2009

Carrot Rice!

OK...I know its been a long time since I blogged! I haven't blogged since I came to US and joined my job here.OK, that implies something;)...I'll reserve my thoughts here, because this is not about why I didnt blog, it is about Carrot Rice!!!

Well, I happened to visit my friend Suseela's place few months back and she had made carrot rice..It was my first time to see the combination of Rice and Carrot. I am not a huge fan of carrots, but this dish was a killer!!! :D. Sree, loved it too!!!

From that day, I was thinking of making this someday, but days went by and I actually forgot about this. Last week when we went for shopping, Sree bought carrots and told me we'll make somehting out of it. I told him, I'll ask Suseela for the recipe and try this out over the weekend...

After a quick chat with Suseela, I wrote it down and here it is...


Ingredients

1. Carrots : 4
2. Rice - 3 cups
3. Ghee
4. Coconut(grated) : 1 cup
5. Urad Dal
6. Bengal Gram
7.Clove powder
8. Cinnamon powder
9. Green Chilli - 3,4
10. Ginger
11. Garlic
12. Mustard
11. Turmeric
12. Salt
13. Curry Leaves
14. Oil

Steps to make Carrot Rice

a. Grate Carrot finely. [ If possible, make your husband / friend do this for you..this is the toughest part :D]
b. Put ghee in a pan, and fry the grated carrot in this for sometime, till the carrot turns a little pale and its raw smell dies off.
c. Wash the rice and fry the rice in Ghee, for sometime.
d. Cook the rice by putting water in 1 cup rice = 1.5 cups water ratio.
e. Grind the ginger, garlic and green chillies to a thick paste.
f. In another pan, heat oil and add mustards, bengal gram, urad dal and the cinnamon and clove powder.
g. Once the items on step f is done, pour the ginger-garlic-chilli paste to it and add grated coconut and turmeric and cook this mixture for sometime.
h. Add the cooked carrots to this mixture and stir the mixture well
i. Add Salt to this mixture
j. Once rice is cooked, add it to the mixture in step 'i' and stir it well.
k. Put Curry Leaves to garnish.

Well Carrot rice is ready now. This came out well in my case:D and I was surprised, my first try could taste good ..Anyways...its an easy recipe...So try it out. I couldnt take a pic of this, as it was over before I could even think about it.

I would like to thank my friend Suseela for this valuable and easy recipe and also my dear husband Sree[a.k.a Kodak] for grating the carrots for me and being my assitant in the kitchen.

Happy cooking!

4 comments:

  1. Wow anu. I cud feel the excitement u had out of preparing the rice and
    it does sound xtremely yummy! Will try it out n take a snap;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, you posted after a very long time. Are you sure it was as good as you telling or there is bit of exaggeration, being it your first time :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mayank : Ofcourse it came out well:) Trust me for once!

    @Leo : Do try out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi anu..one of my favourite Root is Carrot,do you know i will eat a carrot every day for healty eyes/sight/vision and now i will try carrot rice also.Nice and Healthy post.
    http://gaintbook.blogspot.com(my another blog)
    FROM:sriniva.gemini@gmail.com
    india

    ReplyDelete

Another try at art - Peacock feather

Since my maternity leave started, I have been wanting to do some art work. Also the upstairs bedroom really needed some kind of color in it....